Frequently Asked Question
HDOnTap occasionally experiences issues with live cams for wide variety of reasons. Physical live camera issues include power to the camera, connectivity issues at the camera site, extreme weather conditions, hardware issues with the camera and occasionally our streaming network. Additionally, a stream may appear to be down for an individual viewer but is actually the result of the viewer's connectivity, device or browser. If you can't view a stream, start with the suggestions below.
All Users - Check for common viewer issues:
Begin by checking the HDOnTap live cams portal page for the stream. If a "This stream is currently offline" image appears, the live stream is in fact down. If an image with the live bug appears, the stream is operational and we suggest you try the following:
- Check your internet connection. In some cases, a poor internet connection may make it appear that a stream is down when the reality is that the viewer does not have a strong internet connection. If you're viewing on a mobile device, make sure you have enough data to stream.
Tip: You can check your internet speed at http://www.speedtest.net
- Force-refresh your browser.
Tip: Force refresh by pressing Ctrl+Shift+R (PC) or ⌘+Shift+R (Mac).
- Clear your browser's cache and cookies.
Tip: Click here for more information.
- Make sure you are using the most current version of your browser.
- Try using a different browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Safari. There are various browsers for mobile devices as well.
Note: Internet Explorer is an outdated browser and not compatible with the HDOnTap streaming service.
- Restart your computer or device.
- If the stream is playing intermittently (buffering), follow the additional tips here. If you have completed all troubleshooting steps and the stream is still buffering please gather all the details of your troubleshooting attempts and contact email@example.com
For camera owners:
- Check to see if you are able to reach the camera directly through the browser using its IP Address or hostname.
- If you are able to reach the camera, contact HDOnTap Support by phone (858.481.4096), email (firstname.lastname@example.org), live chat or creating a support ticket at http://support.hdontap.com.
- If the camera is not reachable directly, check to make sure the camera is powered. If the camera is powered up, power-cycle it by unplugging the camera at the power source for approximately 15 seconds, then plug it back it. This will usually restore the live video feed.
- If the issue still exists after power-cycling, verify with your IT administrator that there have been no changes to the network, firewall, and or IP address assigned to the camera.
If you believe the stream is down:
- We strive to quickly re-establish access and live streaming any time an issue arises, and may already be actively working to fix a downed stream. Force-refresh your browser periodically to see if the live stream is back online.
TIP: Force refresh by pressing Ctrl+Shift+R (PC) or ⌘+Shift+R (Mac).
- Occasionally, viewers notice and report issues before our team does. We appreciate these "heads up" notices! If you believe we may not be aware of a live stream issue, please feel free to contact us at email@example.com.